Google Customer Match: Remarketing With Email Lists
There are a number of different ways to set up AdWords targeting. You can target your text ads by keyword targeting, location and language targeting, or even target specific devices like mobile phones or desktop computers. Unfortunately, you’ll often end up sifting through a lot of irrelevant traffic when you use these broader targeting settings, which is where remarketing campaigns come in. Remarketing allows you to target users who have been to your website before, or have performed some sort of action on your website that you’ve determined is valuable. With the use of Google Customer Match we can take it even further and remarket ads to users who have provided their email information. These customers have already expressed interest in your product by providing their email address, so they should be more qualified to see your paid ads than the average user. This tends to lead to higher click through rates and higher overall conversion rates since the users already know what they’re getting into by clicking your ad.
Follow the steps below to create a Google Customer Match email list:
- Sign in to AdWords.
- Click Shared library.
- Click Audiences.
- If you’re creating a remarketing list for the first time, you’ll see several remarketing options. Under “Customer emails,” click Create list. If this isn’t the first remarketing list you’ve created, click +Remarketing listand select “Customer emails” from the drop-down menu.
- Enter a name.
- Select “Upload customer email addresses.”
- (Optional) Outside of AdWords, hash the list of customer email addresses that you want to upload.
- Hashing takes into account capitalization and spaces, so you’ll need to prepare your email addresses in order for matching to work. Make all characters in the email addresses lowercase and remove any extra spaces before or after the email addresses.
- Apply the SHA256 algorithm to your email addresses, which is an industry standard for one-way hashing. For example, the hashed version of the email address [email protected] is: 264e53d93759bde067fd01ef2698f98d1253c730d12f021116f02eebcfa9ace6.
- Paste the hashed email addresses into a .csv file.
- Within AdWords, choose the file. Make sure it meets the requirements described below.
- Set a membership duration. The default membership duration is unlimited, but you can set a custom time limit.
- If you agree, check the box “This data was collected and is being shared with Google in compliance with Google’s policies.”
- Click Upload and save list. You can view the progress of uploading your data file under “Audiences”. This process may take take up to 3 hours to complete.
- Add your Customer Match audience to your campaign. It may take up to 12 hours for your campaign to start serving.
- For YouTube: add your Customer Match audience to an “Online video” campaign.
- For Gmail: add your Customer Match audience to a “Display Network only” campaign that uses Gmail ads from the Ad gallery. To do this:
- Open the campaign and click the Display Network
- Click + Targeting, and choose your campaign and ad group.
- Click Add targetingand select “Interests and remarketing,”
- Click “Remarketing lists” and select an audience.
- For Search: add your Customer Match audience to a “Search Network only” or “Search Network with Display Select” campaign.
Once you’ve created your Customer Match email list you’ll need to tie it to a remarketing campaign. For more details on how remarketing campaigns are created check out Nick Rennard’s blog on Remarketing Campaign Set-Up. Once that’s done you’ll have created a remarketing campaign that exclusively targets the people on the Customer Match email list that you uploaded. If you run into any issues during the set up process feel free to contact us and we’ll be more than happy to take a look at your issue.